Introduction and Personal Statement

I seek a career in journalism as a writer for a magazine or newspaper. More than reporting the news I am interested in writing long form articles. I seek to investigate and interview people on topics surrounding social issues. I have always wanted to write stories that have impact and amplify people’s voices. I believe in the importance of seeking the truth and understand other perspectives. I am inspired by new stories that might not be followed by the mainstream media. 

During my work experience I have developed skills like customer service, problem-solving, and time management that have allowed me to work with people more efficiently. Those skills also translate to when I need to write articles or do investigation stories. When you are writing a story there is always possibility of people not answering or replying. For that reason is important to be resourceful and seek other alternatives.

As a student I have taken several courses that have allowed me to learn and expand my knowledge in different areas. I have had the luck to learn more about other communities and groups of people.

In my years at Thompson Rivers University (TRU) I have sharpened my writing skills which have allowed me to secure freelancing opportunities. I developed skills in editing pictures and text that I did not have before. Those skills will come in handy when delivering stories as well as they can open more opportunities in my field.

Thanks to courses like documentary and film production I was able to edit and record footage. It helped me a lot when I did my internship at CBC radio, and I was able to develop great pieces that got published. Those skills have allowed me to do faster and effective work.

I have experienced connection through the teamwork with other classmates and the work we have delivered together. To have effective teamwork clear communication is needed as well as the willingness to lead and listen to others. I recall the instance of writing an article with two of my friends in journalism. The article ended up getting published at the Wren.

At TRU I have learn lifelong skills that will always be part of my career and who I am. For example, I have been taught to write in a way where you show the audience and not tell. The ability to write in an engaging way can be tough but necessary and learning those skills has transformed my writing.

I have acquired critical thinking skills that I now apply to when I am writing articles. I have learned how to do proper research and quote sources properly. As an international student I have been able to interact with other students and learn from their life experiences. I have learned about different cultures and recognized varied perspectives.

Last year, I was a student ambassador at the Wellness Centre where I had peer mentor training. I have been able to connect with various students that have faced all kinds of challenges. Working there allowed me to understand the importance of mental health. For that reason, when I went to Merit Place, a homeless shelter I was able to talk to residents with openness on their journey.

I was lucky enough to do work that followed Indigenous initiatives. I made connection with Indigenous elders and other people in the community which taught me important things following reconciliation. Doe Thomas was someone that I worked with during my time at the Wellness Centre. I produce a profile piece for my feature writing class. I learned a lot about her, and it showed me the importance of intercultural awareness.

The connections that I have made in university have also allowed me to seek stories and have different angles on several topics. I have been able to interact with various groups of people and make friends that have helped me find sources for my stories.

The pieces in the portfolio highlight my different skills and my ability to cover many topics. They relate to the type of stories I want to tell and what I am passionate about. I enjoy writing and covering stories that follow social issues.